6.29.2016

Mia's Story, Part 2

We quickly found the parking garage, left our bags, and rushed into the hospital. Birth mom's dad was waiting for us at the elevator and as we approached her hospital room, birth mom's mom ran out the room. "Claire, come on! She's ready to push!"

.................

Part 2: The Miracle

I quickly rushed into the hospital room while Russell stayed in the hall with birth mom's father. Nervous does not begin to describe how I was feeling walking into that hospital room! So many thoughts, emotions, feelings took over my body! I was about to witness birth in real life! For the first time! And it's the birth of my daughter! I walked behind the curtain trying to look as brave as possible and right away I saw birth mom laying on her left side. The nurse and her mom told me that she was ready to push. To this day, I still marvel at how quickly everything happened! We got the call to head to the hospital a bit after 9pm and Mia was born at 10:44pm!

Honestly, I was so overcome with an intense amount of love and appreciation for Mia's birth mom that just after a few seconds of being in there, I wanted to just break down and cry. But I knew I didn't have time and I wasn't there for that reason! Again, I put on my brave face and remembered I was there to support her and what an honor it was for me to be there by her side as we welcomed such a miracle. A miracle that will and has forever entwined our hearts. I positioned myself on the right side of the bed with birth mom's mom so that the nurse could finish the preparation. After she was done, she asked if I was OK with holding up one of Mia's birth mom's legs as she pushes and I quickly asked birth mom if she was OK with that. At this point, I think she was so over being modest and shy so she agreed and gave me and her mom directions on how exactly she wanted us to hold her legs. As we waited for the doctor to enter the room, she went over the birth plan of how I will be the one cutting Mia's cord then Mia and I will do skin to skin.......

Haha as soon as she said skin to skin, everyone looked at my sweater and I automatically felt so unprepared and as if I had lost my mind! Why did I choose this sweater?! It was such a funny/frustrating moment where I'm sure my face just looked so puzzled and embarrassed. I knew I was going to do skin to skin so I have no idea why I chose to wear that particular piece of clothing haha. I quickly grabbed the hospital gown from the nurse and changed as fast as I could in the rest room. After we got that silly hiccup out of the way, Mia's birth mom continued with the birth plan of how Russell can enter the room when she is all ready and during my time doing skin to skin with Mia, etc. 

The machine told us that another contraction was beginning so I moved to the left side of the bed while her mom remained on the right. We lifted her legs and pushed them towards her and with each contraction, Mia's birth mom pushed like a champ. She probably did about 2 sets of pushing before the doctor even entered the room but she was ready to move it along and I was excited to meet Mia! We could see a part of her head!

The doctor finally came into the room and introduced herself to me and congratulated all of us for what was about to happen. The room was definitely filled with excitement and nervousness. We were all so eager to meet that baby! 

As I stood there in that hospital room holding Mia's birth mom's leg and assisting in the birth of my daughter, nothing else mattered. In that moment, although it was so surreal and we had only known each other for around 6 months, I loved Mia's birth mom. With all of my heart. I knew I was suppose to know her and to be blessed by her and her selflessness. I knew our paths were meant to cross and that she was the missing piece in our life. I can't describe to you how close I felt to her in that moment and how truly touched I was that she chose us. 

She was honestly a champ in that hospital room. She made it look so easy! After the doctor suited up, more pushing continued and she pushed for probably about 3 more sets and Mia literally came crawling out with her arms breaking free. I will never forget that moment. I am obviously crying as I type this because that moment forever changed my life and my heart. In that quick moment, I was a mom and it was the most joy I have ever felt in my entire life. The doctor placed her on her birth mom's stomach and while the nurses wiped her up, the doctor passed the scissors to cut her umbilical cord. I was so nervous and felt like I was shaking like a leaf! Mia didn't make a sound and just laid there looking super purple. The two nurses working on her were worried and kept wiping her and trying to agitate her so she would cry. It felt like forever and I was so worried but she finally let out a wonderful cry and the purple began to turn pink. 

I sat down in a chair and one of the nurses placed her on my chest after cleaning her up and placing the most adorable hat on her precious head. My love for her was instant and although I was worried, our bond was instant. I wept with her in my arms and told her how much I loved her and how long I waited for her. 

I noticed at the corner of my eye that the hospital room door was cracked open beyond the curtain and I automatically locked eyes with Russell who was standing at the door that entire time listening in. His smile was so big and I could tell he was just dying to see Mia. 

After the doctor was done with the birth mom, Russell was able to come into the room. Although I will never ever forget his reaction as he walked towards Mia and I, I am so grateful that both Mia's birth mom and her mother took out their phones and were taking pictures and a video of our very first time together as a family of 3. I will just post the video and let it speak for itself....


Russell took this photo at the door before I noticed him standing there.
Right after Mia was born. That's me cutting her cord! Scary! See how she's just laying there?! Also scary!
Feeding Mia; she was starving from all that work!
7 pounds 2 ounces (we rounded up haha)
Mia and I skin to skin.
Never in a million years did I imagine THIS would be his reaction! So sweet.
Daddy and Mia skin to skin
Just look at how beautiful she is!
Russell cutting the cord
Before she got her shots :(
Mia Lotus Johnson, 5.6.16 7 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches


2 comments:

  1. I just can't get over this Claire!!! I can't even imagine that feeling, but you describe it so well. And Russell's reaction? Ugh, so sweet! What a beauty she is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything about this is amazing--the journey, the story, the delivery, the emotions. I love reading about all of this. And she is such a beautiful baby. All the heart eyes over here.

    ReplyDelete

I just called to say......I love you.